Care at Home

If you have someone care for your children in your home on a regular basis, you should be paying them a rate of at least minimum wage, and this is a requirement if they work for you more than 20 hours per week.

If you have a child care professional work for you full-time and that lives in your home, you absolutely must know the laws that govern these types of arrangements. There are limits to the number of hours and days you can require this person to work. For example, you cannot ask them to sleep in the same room as your child, as this may seem as if you’re requiring them to work a 24-hour shift, which is illegal. You must also be familiar with requirements for making sure that this person has legal status to work in the U.S.